Monday, February 11, 2008

Just thinking

And not doing anything.

"I am so confused" . Heard this statement from B school applicants some 1000 times? I feel like going out in open and shouting at top of my voice "I am damn confused. God please show me the way."

I wrote my GMAT last year, in June. Got a decent score. Then I started searching for schools. I had also finalised list of 6 schools to apply to.

R1 - Wharton, Darden, Ross, Stern

R2 - Harvard, Queens

Then for some good reasons I had to defer my apps by 1 year. But atleast I tried writing my essays for few weeks and I realised that I am good at talking, good at writing essays for other people but I am horrible! horrible!! horrible!! at writing something for my own. Thats the major reason I am starting early this year.

Last year, well actually only a few months ago, I was quite adamant to apply for only 2 year MBA. But this year I am becoming more and more inclined towards 1 year MBA. The reasons are personal as well as professional. Just to give you a brief overview, I dont hate IT that much. I am in consulting and I love my job. I do not mind adding a 1 year MBA to my resume and getting into IT sector again. Then my family also forces me to think about marriage. Also when I think of how I would want MBA and Marriage ( 3 troubling Ms - MBA, Marriage and Mom (keeps talking about marriage all the time :D)) to fit into my life, I start liking 1 year MBA even more. Finance is also a major factor.
But when I think about 2 year MBA, I just cannot help imagining what all other career possibilities I can have with a 2 year MBA.
Someone help me please.

6 comments:

Metal said...

Welcome to the blogging world. The choice between a 1yr and 2 yr program is a very personal one.IMHO a 2 year program is better suited to soak in the stuff and network with people , switch careers.Cheers!

Achilles said...

You bet you are going to leanr a lot during this process!!
Anyways as per your present doubts....1 yr and 2 yr MBA are greatly diff from each other...its your call to take...
that thing about 3 M's is funny...haha :)
remember its one life and one MBA so take your decision carefully...dont want to make it hard for you but then yeah we have to take imp decisions carefully....in last year i have found myself severl times in a similar situation(in fact presently also i m into one)....and nobody can help in those decisions...just thing abt the greater picture and take a call

gullu said...

Welcome to blogosphere.
I was somehow able to relate to writing essays for others on any subject and writing essays for yourself on any subject :D
Am looking for class of 2011. GMAT mostly by March end.
Well the confusion you are facing is nothing new, every MBA prospective has these...everybody have their own way of conquering it :)

Papillon said...

Thanks guys.

@Metal - thanks. I know its a personal chance. I just want to know what you guys think about 1yr vs 2 yr MBA.

@Achilles - :) thanks..sure ..planning to research a lot. will come to u for more questions :D


@gullu - nice name. thanks.. Good luck for ur GMAT and keep me updated

Janet Nakano said...

Which 1 year programs are you thinking of?

I think one benefit of the 2-year program is the summer internship (maybe some 1 years allow for the internship?) These are great if you're switching careers. Internships also often lead to a job offer.

Another benefit of the 2 year is the time - more time to learning, networking, and everything else.

The one-year, like you said, will cost you less money, which is nice considering how much these programs charge you!

I think this topic - 1 yr vs 2 yrs - is a good idea for a future show!

These other shows might be useful for you:

"Choosing the Right Business School"

"MBA Summer Internships"

www.MBAPodcaster.com

Best of Luck!

Anonymous said...

Do you already have your list of 1 yr MBAs ready ? And the final list of 2 + 1 yr MBAs ?